(1864) First Presbyterian Church- The church was organized on April 18, 1845, by the founder of Shamokin, John C. Boyd. It was first called "Shamokintown Church." The name was changed 27 years later to its present name. The church seen here was erected in 1847 by Stephen Bittenbender on a tract of land donated by the honorable Lewis Dewart. The first pastor was Rev. James J. Hamilton. A pastor's house was built in 1894 at a cost of $3,403.43, most of which was raised by the women of the church. In 1890, a new church and chapel were built for $40,000. In 1927, a Sabbath school and entertainment structure was completed at a cost of $82,000.