(1939) The Shamokin Band, Walter Culp, conductor- "The Shamokin Band" came into being in 1885 as a result of a get together of 23 local musicians, who played various instruments, and agreed to start a band. The first meeting was held Jan. 25, 1885, with the first rehearsal five days later. The organization was officially formed and named on Jan. 10, 1890. The band rehearsed in a small building at Third and Walnut streets. Early in the 1900s, Robert O. Thomas became director of the band, who led it for some 30 years. The band's popularity spread as a result of concerts at Edgewood and Maysville parks. The band built its headquarters at 547 Second Street, a building that still stands today and bears the band's name. Families were a big factor in the success of the band. The "Our Band" and "Shamokin Band" continued separately until 1963, when they joined together to form the "Our Shamokin Band," under the direction of Robert Maue. Other directors of the band were Bill Witley, Perry Woolcock and, more recently, William Milbrand. The band became inactive in 2004.