Independence Fire Company at its former location on Lincoln Street- The company formed July 14, 1873 as the Independence Hose and Steam Fire Engine Company. The name was changed to Independence Fire Association when the charter was received on Nov. 22, 1873. John Schabo served as the first fire chief of the company. The quarters was built in 1905. The building was occupied on July 14, 1906.