A modern-day aerial shot of Our Lady of Lourdes Regional School- In 1957, 22 acres in the Edgewood section of Coal Township was purchased for $10,000 for the purpose of building a Catholic school. On Jan. 26, 1957, 2,000 area parishioners watched the Most Rev. George Leech, Bishop of the Diocese of Harrisburg, turn the first spade of dirt. Master of ceremonies was Rev. Thomas Leitch, principal of Shamokin Catholic High School, who would later become the first principal at Lourdes. The school was built at a price of around $1 million and dedicated Sept. 13, 1959. Funds for the project came from the 22 parishes it would serve. Enrollment was around 500 students. After the Mount Carmel Catholic High School closed in 1964, a major expansion of the school was undertaken. As expected, enrollment jumped to around 750 students. In 1984, enrollment had decreased to 400 students, 137 of whom graduated in the spring. By 2011, the number of graduates had dwindled to just 35.